- For Professionals (Shop Floor)
- Clinical Guidelines
- Clinical Standards
- Clinical Audit
- Professional Standards
- Safer Care
Welcome to the Safer Care section of the College website. Here you can find:
- Safety News - latest developments in patient safety
- Safety Alerts - latest reports from the National Patient Safety Agency and Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency
- Safety Resources - find commonly used safety terms, organisations, tools and resources
- Safety in your ED - CEM resources for developing patient safety in your ED
- Safety Events - find events where you can learn more
What is Patient Safety?
Patient Safety emphasises the reporting, analysis, and prevention of medical error that often leads to adverse healthcare events. Providing safer care involves:
- Identifying and managing patient-related risks
- Reporting and analysing incidents
- Addressing complaints and claims
- Learning from and following-up on incidents
- Implementing solutions to minimise the risk of incidents recurring.
Why is it important?
Patient safety is a serious public health issue. The World Health Organisation estimates that in developed countries as many as one in 10 patients is harmed while receiving hospital care.
Between July 2009 and June 2010 in England and Wales, over 800,000 incidents that did or could have harmed patients in acute hospital settings were reported to the National Patient Safety Agency1.
1. NRLS Quarterly Data Workbook (NPSA, Feb 2011)
What is the College of Emergency Medicine doing about patient safety?
The College has established a Safer Care Committee which is undertaking the following:
- Developing and disseminating patient safety and risk management strategies for the speciality of Emergency Medicine
- Commissioning and supporting research in conjunction with the Research and Publications Committee in the field of safety in the Emergency Department
- Advising and collaborating with the NPSA, DH, CQC, the Royal Colleges and other national bodies who have an interest in risk management and patient safety in Emergency Departments
- Developing and identifying resources for patient safety
- Informing Fellows and Members of patient safety research, key publications and resources